NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Sweepstakes may only be entered in or from the 48 Contiguous United States and the District of Columbia. Entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. This Sweepstakes is governed exclusively by the laws of the United States. You are not authorized to participate in the Sweepstakes if you are not located within the 48 Contiguous United States or the District of Columbia.
1. How to Enter. There are three (3) ways to enter “The Next Best Thing Sweepstakes” (“Sweepstakes”):
(i) Pre-order Jennifer Weiner’s “THE NEXT BEST THING” (hardcover, e-book, or audio version) from any retailer of your choice and, during the Sweepstakes Period, email a copy of your receipt to email@example.com, along with your full name, mailing address and email address. If you purchased the book prior to the start date of the Sweepstakes, you can still enter as long as you send a copy of that receipt with your full name, mailing address and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org during the Sweepstakes Period.
(ii) During the Sweepstakes Period, send your full name, mailing address and email address, with your receipt from your local library's waiting list, to email@example.com.
(iii) To enter without purchase, during the Sweepstakes Period, send your full name, mailing address and email address, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All entrants must have a valid email address. Limit one (1) entry per person/email address, regardless of method of entry. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Only fully completed entry forms are eligible. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
2. Start/End Dates. Sweepstakes begins at 2:00:00 PM Eastern Time (“ET”) on Thursday, June 14, 2012 and ends at 11:59:59 PM ET on Sunday, July 1, 2012 (‘Sweepstakes Period”).
3. Eligibility. Participation open only to legal residents of the forty-eight (48) contiguous United States or the District of Columbia,who are 18 or older as of date of entry. Void in Alaska and Hawaii, outside of the 48 contiguous United States, the District of Columbia and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees, officers and directors of Jennifer Weiner Incorporated (“Sponsor”), Simon and Schuster, Inc. and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, dealers, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of sweepstakes materials and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. Sweepstakes may only be entered in or from the 48 contiguous United States and the District of Columbia. Entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. You are not authorized to participate in the Sweepstakes if you are not located within the 48 contiguous United States or the District of Columbia. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
4. Random Drawing/Odds. Winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received on or about Friday, July 6, 2012. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received for the drawing. By entering the Sweepstakes, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Sweepstakes.
5. Prizes. One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a visit by Jennifer Weiner to Grand Prize winner’s book club on a mutually agreed upon date within twelve months of the drawing. If Grand Prize Winner is not a member of a book club, Grand Prize winner and up to five (5) friends will receive dinner with Jennifer Weiner at a mutually agreed upon restaurant on a mutually agreed upon date within twelve months of the drawing.
Released Entities are not responsible if meeting with Jennifer Weiner is delayed or postponed for any reason. Any meeting with Jennifer Weiner is based on her availability and subject to her terms and conditions.
Transportation, accommodations, taxes, gratuities, or any other expenses not specifically listed herein responsibility of Grand Prize winner. Grand Prize winner’s book club members or dinner guests may be required to sign releases or other documentation in order to participate in meeting.
Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of Grand Prize: $2,500.
Five (5) Runner-up prizes: Each Runner-up prize winner will receive a tote bag which includes selected copies of Jennifer Weiner’s backlist (i.e., previously published books) signed by author and some Philadelphia-centric treats. ARV of each Runner-up Prize: $200.
ARV of all prizes combined: $3,500. Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of any prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Unspecified expenses are the responsibility of winners.
TAX GROSS UP PAYMENT FOR GRAND PRIZE: In addition to the prize awarded to the Grand Prize winner, such winner will also receive a single cash payment in the form of a corporate check which is intended to assist with any federal, state, or other tax obligations related to the Grand Prize (the “Tax Gross-Up Payment”) if applicable. The amount of Tax Gross-Up Payment will be computed based upon the actual retail value of the applicable prize and assuming that the Grand Prize winner’s combined tax rate for all federal, state, and other tax obligations related to such prize is 34%. The Tax Gross-Up Payment is intended to assist with any federal, state, or other tax obligations related to the applicable prize. The Tax Gross-Up Payment may not be sufficient to cover the winner's entire tax liability related to winning the applicable prize. Grand Prize winner’s reportable winnings and the gross-up payment will be included on the winner’s 2012 W-2 and will be subject to withholding. Sponsor will comply with all tax reporting requirements, including a Form 1099-MISC issued to the winners.
6. Notification. Winners will be notified by email on or about July 6, 2012. Grand Prize winner will and Runner-up winners may be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within five (5) days of prize notification. If any winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Liability/Publicity Release must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian and such prize will be delivered to minor’s parent/legal guardian and awarded in the name of parent/legal guardian. If any winner cannot be contacted within five (5) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Sweepstakes rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Limit one (1) prize per person or household.
7. Conditions. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. Participation in Sweepstakes and acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information and/or any statements made by each winner regarding the Sweepstakes or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants, winners and their guests agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Simon & Schuster, Inc., and their respective advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (collectively, the “Released Entities”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Sweepstakes, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Sponsor is not responsible if Sweepstakes cannot take place or if any prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Sweepstakes in any way shall be disqualified. There is no purchase or sales presentation required to participate. A purchase does not increase odds of winning.
8. Additional Terms. In case of dispute as to the identity of any entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Sweepstakes, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, Sponsor will select the winner(s) from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Sweepstakes or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9. Use of Data. Sponsor and Simon & Schuster, Inc. will be collecting personal data about entrant for purposes of this Sweepstakes. By participating in the Sweepstakes, entrants hereby agree to such entities’ collection and usage of their personal information for purposes of this Sweepstakes.
10. List of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by July 16, 2012 to: Hillary Tisman, Atria Books, Simon & Schuster, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020
11. Sponsor. Jennifer Weiner Incorporated, #507, 211 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147.